The 64.1 MWp project is Egypt's first large-scale photovoltaic power plant and part of a 1.86 GWp solar power complex. Located 650 kilometres south of Cairo, near the village of Benban in the desert, the plant consists of almost 200,000 photovoltaic modules spread over an area of 95.4 hectares. By using a single axis solar tracking system, up to 148,000 MWh of electricity per year are produced, enough for about 20,000 Egyptian households. Over a period of 25 years, in which the state-owned grid operator company is supplied, 1.6 million tons of CO2 will be saved.
The project obtained financing from Bayerische Landesbank (BLB) for 85% of the debt, with the remaining 15% coming from Arab African International Bank (AAIB). The German government has provided an Euler Hermes export credit guarantee (ECG), covering the BLB loan.